Although small storage units are generally associated with domestic storage, increasingly businesses are turning to storage options to help control costs.
Business owners know how expensive it is to pay rent for bigger offices than they actually need, or for storage space in retail units that is used for storing stock that could be stored off site.
In this guide, we are going to look at the different types of storage available, and how they might help you. We will look at:
- What are the different types of commercial storage?
- What can you use business storage for?
- How to choose the right commercial storage solution for your business?
Would Business Storage help you?
Before you decide to take Business Storage you need to establish whether or not it will enable you to either:
- Downsize your existing commercial premises.
- Prevent the need to move to bigger premises.
Business storage can be a big decision, but it is one that can be very efficient and cost-effective. In terms of finance and logistics and you shouldn’t rush into it, and you should discuss all the options with us.
At Ede’s, we offer a number of storage sizes and types, and we would be very pleased to discuss your requirements in more detail.
What Can You Store?
There are many different industries that can benefit from business storage:
- Offices can use storage for desks, furniture etc. that is not needed.
- Businesses can store files and records using Archive Storage.
- Retailers can store extra stock making it easier to keep bulk inventory.
- Hospitality businesses can store extra tables and linen to retrieve for larger functions or to replace wear and tear.
- Businesses that regularly exhibit at trade fairs and conferences can use business storage to store all the exhibition stand assets and equiplemt.
- Tradesmen can store tools and rarely used large equipment.
- Many different companies utilise the space to secure documents and filing out of the way of the more day to day business
It could be a temporary solution whilst you relocate premises or a seasonal one to house extra stock/merchandise.
Whatever the reason though, your goods will be in very safe hands at Ede’s.
The 10 benefits of Business Storage
Some of the benefits of offsite storage include:
- Cost savings. You will need less space and therefore pay less rent. The cost of storage is a fraction of the cost of retail/office rent.
- Your items will be stored in a totally secure environment and monitored 24/7.
- You will free up space in your current offices or retail premises.
- Your items will be readily accessible and can be with you on a quick turnaround.
- Your business is more mobile as you can run it from almost anywhere with a central, low-cost distribution or holding centre.
- Reduced logistics cost and you can set up to collect goods on-demand.
- Substantial savings compared to renting a bigger warehouse or office space
- Lower overheads which means you can spend more money on marketing, staffing or training
- Decluttered office or retail space
- Ease of access means better time management and productivity
Storing Important Documents – Archive Storage
Although there is a trend to store business documents in the Cloud, there are many businesses and industries where paper document need to be retained, and there are records which have to be kept.
For example, tax returns, invoices, and receipts are required to be kept by companies for at least 7 years and many businesses don’t need these documents frequently (if ever), but they still need to be retained and the amount of space needed to store these documents is quite substantial.
Many start-ups and small business owners don’t have the budget to afford larger offices, especially with the rends for Agile working and hot desking, and yet paperwork needs to be stored in a safe space regardless. Storing paperwork in a climate-controlled unit is one of the ways businesses can control costs. Archive storage can be especially useful for:
- Any business that needs to store historic financial data.
At Ede’s, we offer storage solutions that are tailored to our client’s needs. All of our document storage is climate controlled, monitored against fire, UV light protected, and waterproof. Meaning you can rest assured that they are safe from climate or civil hazards.
We also offer convenient records management systems as well as designated inspection rooms for audits or research.
We can offer dedicated IT storage either for your excess IT equipment, or we can accommodate stock sent directly from your suppliers, and ready for IT rollout.
We can accommodate all of your servers, workstations, screens, keyboards, mice, printers and other peripherals safe and secure, climate controlled facility.
Many businesses frequently exhibit at trade fairs, exhibitions and conferences and there is usually a lot of equipment, stands etc. that is used from show to show and is only needed at infrequent intervals.
If you have your own exhibition stands and equipment, then storing it in a secure business unit can make a lot of sense. It will be safe, secure, dry, and available whenever you need it. We at Ede’s can tailor a solution to your requirements, and we can also arrange delivery as and when you need your items.
We do not recommend storing exhibition stands or equipment at home in the garage or shed as they can be prone to damage from water or temperature change, which can result in expensive repair or replacement bills.
Warehousing for Your Online Store
If you are running an online business, storing your products or tools in a unit might be a good idea. In many cases, a storage unit is often an ideal solution as it provides security and accessibility for your inventory.
Clothing, textiles, furniture and many other products can benefit from being stored in a storage unit. Humidity and sudden temperature changes can damage wood and fabrics, but a climate-controlled self-storage service can prevent this from happening.
Security is also ensured in a storage unit whether in a self-store unit, or in a larger warehouse space. At Ede’s our storage units are permanently under surveillance, and fire and security alarms are permanently monitored. This can make it much cheaper to insure your items.
Restaurants Store Equipment, Furniture, Canned Foods, and Wines
Restaurants usually go through seasonal makeovers, which leads to a lot of clutter. Furniture, equipment, and decor from the previous seasons end up being stored in one place.
Business storage units are used by restaurants to store kitchen supplies, outdoor furniture used only during the warm seasons, decorations, canned food, cleaning products, and dishware.
There is also an option for restaurants that want to store their wines. It includes a climate-controlled unit, a generator in case of a power outage, and surveillance.
Temporary Business Storage
Businesses moving into new premises or renovating their current space can benefit from storing their office furniture and equipment during the process.
Storage units are available in different sizes, and you won’t end up paying more for a unit unless you have more items stored. In a storage unit, you can temporarily store anything from coffee machines to furniture, documents, office decor, and IT equipment.
Whenever you need your items, you can use our online Inventory Database to select items that you wish to have delivered, and we will arrange prompt delivery.
Once you have decided to move into a business storage unit, make sure that your files, furniture and equipment are insured and protected.
Transporting Your Items Into Storage
Ede’s can provide delivery and collection of all your items to and from storage. We can move anything from anywhere, from industrial machinery to our larger warehouse facility, to boxes of documents for Archive Storage, we are always happy to help, and provide a quick, efficient and courteous.